Sunday, June 22, 2014

Examining Code of Ethics

This week for class I was required to review the code of ethics and standards for both the National Association for the Education of Young Children(NAEYC) and The Division of Early Childhood (DEC) of the Council  for Exceptional Children. A Code of Ethics or Standards of Conduct, are meant to clarify an organization's mission, values, guiding principles and professional conduct. Here are few standards from both documents that I believe are significant to the life of the ECE professional:

DEC of the Council of Exceptional Children

I. Professional Practice
    A. Professional and Interpersonal Behavior
        1. We shall demonstrate in our behavior and language respect and appreciation for the unique value and
       human potential of each child

IV. Ethical and Evidence Based Practices
A.      Evidence Based Practices
1.      We shall rely upon evidence based research and interventions to inform our practice with children and families in our care.

The Division for Early Childhood. (2000, August). Code of ethics. Retrieved May 26, 2010, from
http://www.dec-sped.org/

NAEYC

I.1.2 To base program practices upon current knowledge and research in the field of early childhood education, child development and related disciplines, as well as on particular knowledge of each child.



While embracing the both documents in there entirety are integral to providing an exceptional early learning experience for young children, the standards I listed above are significant to me and my professional practice.  I pride myself in honestly value the integrity and unique quality that each young child brings and as an adult working with young learners I believe I should continually provide support and access to environments and experiences that show children their value and potential. 

No comments:

Post a Comment